Friday, August 7, 2009

Belief

I believe in certain things.

I believe in music. I believe in the power of tones and sounds and chords and rhythms. I believe in it's ability to heal. I believe in the blues scale. I believe in singing, badly or otherwise. I believe in drum circles. I believe in synthesizers and even DJs. I believe in instruments. I believe in breaking instruments (the power of music compels you, right?). I believe in the twelve-bar blues. I believe in the AABA. I believe in music.

I believe in food. I believe that when food is cooked from scratch with the best ingredients, that it cannot be bad for you. I believe in the power of baking bread. I believe in yeast and warm water. I believe in salt (sparingly) and I believe in black pepper. I believe in red meat, steaks cooked rare. I believe in seafood, even shellfish. I believe in the grill, the oven, and the stovetop. I believe in food.

I believe in exercise. I believe in running till I can't run any more. I believe in swimming till my arms and legs refuse to move. I believe in biking and hiking. I believe in the power of teamwork and sportsmanship. I believe in hard work. I believe in breaking human limits. I believe in exercise.

I believe in something bigger. I believe that He is the same, as Jehovah or Allah or G_D or Buddha or Shiva. I believe that He can see us, and that sometimes He can even interact with us. I believe that sometimes He is just the wind, and that sometimes He is an earthquake or a hurricane. I believe that in some way, shape or form, He loves us. I believe even He cannot control the stream of events in everyone's lives, but He is here to help us. I also believe that theology is a very fast way to distance yourselves from others, and I say these things with the upmost consideration of other doctrines, beliefs, and ways of life.

And that leads me to ask you:

What do you believe in?


2 comments:

  1. I believe in humanity. Whether or not there is a higher power, I believe that humanity has the ability to improve and succeed. If He exists, and He did design humanity, then I believe that He gave us the power to develop and grow. I believe that humanity can take care of itself, and that it can solve its own problems.

    I believe in the power of masses. I trust Wikipedia (edited by millions) more than Encyclopedia Brittanica (edited by a handful). I believe that where one person fails, many can succeed.

    I believe in art - be it writing, music, or visual art. I believe in the power of the human brain to interpret, analyze, and enjoy.

    I believe in paradoxes, multiple perceptions, and hypocrisy. The universe is infinitely complex, and I believe that any one system of understanding it is too simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in technology. I believe that one object can provide the pathway to all my friends and sometimes, happiness. I believe in the internet, that it pulls us together and allows us to share things about our lives.

    I believe in books. I believe that I can be alone in physicality, and yet, be one of many inside the book. I believe in the things books tell you, to never give up, to follow your dreams, and that love is a real and powerful thing.

    I believe in love. I believe that saying 'I love you' is not a big deal. I believe that the feeling of love is just a feeling of caring and wanting another person to be happy.

    ReplyDelete