Saturday, April 4, 2009

I had souvlaki, and I liked it.

A saxophone cleaning utensil, huge box of kleenex (two-ply, non cushy kind), an empty wallet, three quarters, one dime and nickel, and two pennies. and an unopened christmas c.d.

I haven't talked about music in a while. I just read a book of Wynton Marsalis' - "Jazz in the Bittersweet Blues of Life." It is a keeper (too bad I borrowed it from the library). It reminded me of why I love music so much. [Good] Music has substance - you can almost touch, feel it, smell it. Like the difference between being in a blues bar in Chicago, with a faint tinge of cigarette smoke and alcohol, and being in a classical music hall, which smells like nice wine and a certain woody timbre. Like the streets of New York versus the fields of the prairie. And music has life and vivacity, whether its the blues or rock n roll or baroque or hip-hop or anything. Music is the product of human struggle - Mozart had syphilis, and Eric Clapton was addicted to cocaine (he also had been tricked to think that his mom was actually his sister). And music has humor - Sonny Rollins was playing a gig the night before Easter. At the stroke of midnight, he played an Easter hymn, right smack-dab in the middle of his solo. Music is connection, music is love, music is hate, music is emotion, passion, all that stuff. Sometimes, I think that music could save the world. Ponder, one four five.

I like to thing that soul in jazz is like calories in food. The more, the better. All this "lite" crap and smooth "Kenny G" jazz is killing good food and jazz. Tis a shame. Ponder, 0 calories!

Metaphysical poetry: [subtexting] [explicit]
Your love is like a refrigerator.
I want to put my goodies in it.

Good night, 

1 comment: